Red meat is an excellent source of complete protein. However, eating meat loaded with fat will negate any of its nutritional benefits. That’s why you should look for lean steak recipes like the one below – Balsamic Flank Steak – (serves 4-6 people, 600 calories per serving).
1-3 lbs flank steak
1 cup balsamic vinegar
2 cloves sliced garlic
2 Tbsp wholegrain mustard
1 Tbsp dried oregano
1 Tbsp fresh rosemary leaves
1 cup extra virgin olive oil (plus extra for grilling)
Freshly ground pepper
- Marinade: Combine the vinegar, mustard, oregano, rosemary and garlic in a blender and puree. While the machine is on, add the oil gradually and blend until creamy. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Add the meat to a ceramic or glass baking dish and pour all (except ¼ cup) of the marinade on top. Coat both sides of the meat. Cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge for 4 to 24 hours.
- Remove from the fridge for 30 min before grilling.
- Oil the grill grates and switch heat on to moderate. Remove steak from marinade, allowing the excess to drip off (this applies to all grilled lean steak recipes). Season with salt and pepper.
- Lightly char the meat for 10 to 20 minutes, or until the thickest part shows 125 degrees on a thermometer.
- Rest the steak on a carving board for 5 minutes. Slice thinly against the grain and serve with seasonal vegetables or salad.
Go to our website for more tasty steak recipes and other healthy lean dishes.
Looking for steak recipes and other cooking tips in Charlotte NC? Visit us at The Butcher’s Market! We are not just about the business of selling food – our staff members have spent years in the kitchen and behind the grill and will gladly share their favorite cooking recipes and preparation secrets with you.